wordpress visitors

Masthead-AlignmentMasthead-logo
NavBarEnd

Historic Photographs

Between 1938 and 1946, William Goodwin restored and stabilized a number of the stone structures at the site. There are several photographs of the site prior to Goodwin’s restoration efforts which provide important details about some of the stone structures prior to restoration. Researchers have used them to establish what portions of structures are original and what has been restored or stabilized. The site has gone through several different stabilization and restoration projects since Goodwin’s time. Later photographs like those shown in the postcards webpage are helpful for researching subsequent alterations.

America's Stonehenge Pre-Restoration Photogrpah of East-West Chamber

This is a pre-restoration photograph of the East-West Chamber. It appeared in William Goodwin’s book The Ruins of Great Ireland in New England (1946). The photograph is not dated but is probably from the 1930’s. (Click on photo from higher resolution version).

America's Stonehenge Pre-Restoration Photogrpah of East-West Chamber

This is a pre-restoration photograph of the East-West Chamber. It appeared in William Goodwin’s book The Ruins of Great Ireland in New England (1946). The photograph is not dated but is probably from the 1930’s. (Click on photo from higher resolution version).

America's Stonehenge circa 1900 Photograph of Oracle Chamber Alcove Entrance

This is a circa 1900 photograph of the alcove to the Oracle Chamber. It shows the alcove entrance prior to one of its roof stones and two stone bars from the right wall of entrance being removed in the early 20th century by quarriers. It appeared in William Goodwin’s book The Ruins of Great Ireland in New England (1946). (Click on photo from higher resolution version).

America's Stonehenge circa 1900 Photograph of Oracle Chamber Alcove Entrance

This is a circa 1900 photograph of the alcove to the Oracle Chamber. It shows the alcove entrance prior to one of its roof stones and two stone bars from the right wall of entrance being removed in the early 20th century by quarriers. Also, note that there is no stone wall extending from the right side of the entrance. The current stone wall was constructed in the 1980’s and probably does not reflect the original design of the site. The photo appeared in William Goodwin’s book The Ruins of Great Ireland in New England (1946). (Click on photo from higher resolution version).

Copyright - The copyright status of many of these images (photographs, maps, etc) is not perfectly clear. These images are reproduced on this website strictly for educational and research purposes. If you are the legal copyright holder please contact us at the email address below and we will either add a note indicating the copyright holder or removed the image(s) if there are any objections.

Copyright-Banner

Page Last Update 09-05-2010

Space-Bottom